November 8, 2012
Handspun Sunset Selbuvotter
Ooops missed October - family visits and a trip to Florida filled that month, but I have been knitting, spinning, weaving and quilting and will try to catch up.
I won this amazing braid of FatCatKnits Handpainted Falkland - Days End “Sunset” during the 2012 Tour de Fleece - Ginny knows what I love!
Divided into lights/darks and spun regular 3 ply - 439 yards of sport weight yarn
and knit into a pretty pair of Selbuvotter mittens
Pattern: Selbuvotter NHM #9
Size: Women's Medium - 8 1/2" circumference; 10 1/4" length
Yarn: 2.7 ounces (78 grams) handspun falkland wool - FatCatKnits Days End in "Sunset"
Needles: 2.5 mm (cuff) and 2.75mm (rest of mitten) 40" circular needles
1) inverse colors dark/light
2) changed cuff pattern to Annemor #11 cuff
3) adjusted cuff to match center of hand pattern
4) made a deeper thumb gusset (14 rows instead of 9)- I think almost ALL of the patterns in this book need deeper gussets!! also M1 right/M1 left
5) changed thumb edge to match with gusset
maybe more mods - didn't keep great notes on these :)
With these changes - I LOVE the mittens and feel that I now have a handle on how to adapt Selbuvotter patterns to fit beautifully - I really like this style of thumb gusset placement!
A few "on the hand" pictures - not easy to photograph when the model is also the photographer!
If you have comments or questions or want to contact me for any reason, just email or contact me on Ravelry. Thanks :)